Some habits cannot be removed, nail biting is one such habit. What we consider as a habit, is actually harming our body. This is a worrying habit, which affects not only physical but also mental health. From children to elders are troubled by the habit of nail biting. Many have stopped growing their nails because of this habit.
According to a report in current literature, 20-30 percent of the country’s population is troubled by the habit of nail biting. The habit of nail biting develops in all types of people, especially in children and youth. According to a research, the problem of nail biting has been found in 37 percent of people aged 3 to 21 years. This habit can be harmful for health, because by doing this, the bacteria of the hands go into the stomach through the mouth and cause many problems, it can increase the risk of infection. Along with this, this habit also affects self-confidence.
Why do you get into the habit of nail biting?
There can be many reasons behind this common looking habit. If a person is going through stress or anxiety, then at that time his body can adopt the habit of nail biting as a reaction or to calm himself. If a person is in a stressful situation, he often starts biting his nails. In such a situation, it is necessary that the person gets rid of this habit as soon as possible.
However, a study published in the Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychology believes that the habit of nail biting is not just due to nervousness or anxiety. Rather, according to research, the habit of nail biting shows more chances of being perfect.
Is nail biting a concern?
In one of his interviews, Dr. Rinki Kapoor (consultant dermatologist, cosmetic dermatologist and dermato-surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics) says, nail biting not only causes infection like bacteria, fungus and virus, but also the nail, cuticle and surrounding skin. also gets worse. Due to excessive nail biting, blood starts coming from the nails and swelling also starts in the nearby places. This can cause damage to the teeth, gums and tissues of the mouth.
disadvantages of nail biting
1. Nail biting causes swelling of the skin around the nails and there can be an infection in it.
2. By repeatedly biting nails, the tissues that help in nail growth are destroyed, due to which nails grow slowly in people who do nail biting.
3. Nail biting not only damages nails, but also damages teeth.
4. The bacteria on our hands enter the stomach through the mouth and cause many problems, which can increase the risk of bacterial and fungal infections.
5. This habit can affect the digestive system and the person can also fall very ill.
6. Gums can become weak and infected due to nail biting, which can call for some serious disease.
how to avoid nail biting
1. Keep nails short
2. Manage stress or anxiety.
3. Put some bitter thing on the nail.
4. Try to keep your mouth busy in some other work, like playing an instrument.
5. Try to keep your hands busy as well.
Also read: If you are lazy to exercise then do these 6 things, it will help in staying fit
Check out below Health Tools-
Calculate Your Body Mass Index ( BMI )
Calculate The Age Through Age Calculator